Expanding older terms like Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and Development & Operations (DevOps), Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) is the process of managing the life of an application, from ideation, requirements, support and retirement through engineering and testing. In other words, ALM is about the use of a single repository for management application lifecycle artifacts, such as a requirement (or user story), a change request, task, test case, bug, issue, risk, change set and source code artifacts.
The three aspects of ALM – governance, development and operations – are tightly interconnected.
- Governance encompasses all of the decision making and project management for an application.
- Development is the process of actually creating the application, which occurs between the idea creation and its deployment. For most applications, the development process reappears again several more times in the application’s lifetime, both for upgrades and for new versions.
- Operations include the work required to run and manage an application. This stage typically begins before deployment and runs continuously until the application is removed from service.
Organizations that aspire to maximize the business value of their custom software complete all three stages as a strict requirement.
As a Microsoft Gold Partner and an ALM vendor, SoftServe provides both consulting and implementation in three parts:
- Enterprise Project and Portfolio Management (leading product is Microsoft Project and Project Server)
- SDLC (Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Visual Studio / Eclipse)
- DevOps (System Center)
SoftServe ALM Service Offering
Microsoft’s ALM platform's main differentiator is flawless integration. Products integrate well within SDLC aspects, as well as project and portfolio management and operations. The cornerstone of the Microsoft ALM solution is the Team Foundation Server (TFS). The deployment options that SoftServe and Microsoft offer include:
- TFS on premise (integrated and customizable)
- TFS on the cloud (quick start for small teams, limited customization)
- TFS in Azure (elastic and customizable)
To ensure a productive and transparent process for all stakeholders, SoftServe delivers Business Intelligence through dashboards, notifications and alerts available from virtually any platform.
To ensure the best processes integration and lifecycle management for your business, SoftServe's ALM Consulting service covers:
- Analysis and assessment
- Solution definition and implementation
- ALM roadmap creation
- Post consulting
- ROI and TCO calculations